How Cultural Differences Affect Intercultural Communication

 Implicit Cultural Tests and their Impact on Intercultural Communication

When I examine Ireland’s culture, I should understand how my prejudices and stereotypes present challenges for intercultural communication (Samovar, 2017, pp.391-392). Larry Samovar, author of Communication Between Cultures, claimed that when people interact with other cultures, they should “[make] an extra effort to appreciate and understand those [cultural] differences” (Samovar, 2017, p.388). This idea framed intercultural communication as a conflict between pre-determined biases and cultural respect (Samovar, 2017, p.391-392). For example, I took the Religion and Gender-Career Implicit Attitude Tests because I wanted to understand how my views on family, gender, careers, and religion would affect my cross-cultural interactions with an Irish citizen (“You Have Completed This Study”). Because of these tests, I recognize that if I traveled to Ireland, I may share their attitudes about traditional gender and familial roles, but reject their notions about the role of religion in everyday life (“You Have Completed This Study”). I will overcome this “cultural shock” by learning more about the influence of religion in Ireland, and its impacts on Irish culture (“Irish Culture;” Samovar, 2017, p.385). I will practice “acculturation” by limiting my biases and avoiding ethnocentrism when I examine Ireland’s cultural customs (Samovar, 2017, p.385). These solutions will allow me to understand my assumptions and their effects on intercultural communication in Ireland (Samovar, 2017, pp.391-392).

U-Shaped Model of Culture Shock


Intercultural Ethics and Its Impact on Intercultural Communication

Although America and Ireland share similar cultural communication beliefs, Americans may misinterpret Irish communication customs, which leads to intercultural communication conflicts (Samovar, 2017, p.403). Samovar asserted that when people communicate with other cultures, they should “adjust [their] messages to the person and [social] context [and they should] be self-aware of how [their] messages [affect] the other person” (Samovar, 2017, p.403). This idea suggested that people should practice cultural and personal awareness when they engage in cross-cultural communication (Samovar, 2017, pp.403, 405). For example, if I discuss the issue of abortion with someone from Ireland, I recognize that while we share similar cultural beliefs about human life, we may have different opinions about the legality and morality of abortions (Samovar, 2017, pp.403, 405; Roche, 2018). Because of these differences in beliefs, I should practice respecting our cultural differences while looking for “similarities that unite [Americans and Irish citizens]” (Samovar, 2017, p.404). To overcome intercultural communication conflicts between myself and an Irish citizen, I can practice self-awareness and understand how my actions affect cross-cultural communication (Samovar, 2017, p.406).

"Irish Diaspora Center of Philadelphia" Cultural Parade 

Overcoming Obstacles to Effective Intercultural Communication

While I may not travel to Ireland, I can use specific cultural communication strategies that prepare me to communicate with someone from Ireland in the United States (Samovar, 2017, p.403). Samovar argued that because of globalization and multiculturalism, people “need to recognize [their] individual roles within the world and hold [themselves] accountable for [their] own actions” (Samovar, 2017, p.406). This idea framed self-awareness as a tool that people use to improve their intercultural communication interactions (Samovar, 2017, p.406). For example, if I communicate with someone from Ireland in the United States, I may face cultural barriers, such as a difference in communication styles (e.g., the use of humor in conversations) (“Irish Culture, 2022”). Because of these barriers, I should practice finding cultural similarities between me and my Irish counterparts, such as a shared history or cultural customs (Samovar, 2017, pp.403-404). I can engage with Irish cultural traditions in the U.S. by researching more about Irish culture and its impacts on their beliefs and values (Samovar, 2017, p.385). By educating myself about Irish culture and understanding the similarities between Ireland and America, I can improve my intercultural communication interactions with an Irish citizen (Samovar, 2017, p.403).


"St. Patrick's Festival 2022 Official Launch Video."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cross-Cultural Nonverbal Communication in Ireland

How Studying Ireland Influences Intercultural Communication

The Relationship Between Culture and Healthcare Values in Ireland